Are you upgrading a V6 instance to V7?
Read our Upgrading from JAMS V6.X to JAMS V7.X article. (login required)
The JAMS Scheduler for Windows can be upgraded directly over the top of an existing JAMS V7 or JAMS V6 installation. Simply run the new installation executable and JAMS will upgrade any requisite components - including the database.
Note: Unchecking previously installed components in the executable will uninstall those components.
JAMS Agents must be running JAMS V7.0.1441 or later to be fully compatible with later JAMS releases. Ensure all Agents are upgraded to V7.0.1441 or later before upgrading the JAMS Scheduler.
When performing the upgrade process, please note the following:
- Download latest JAMS release from the JAMS Site.
- Schedule a Maintenance Window, then wait for any executing Jobs to finish before starting a JAMS upgrade. There should be no Jobs running during any upgrade, from V6.X to V7.X or from V7.X to V7.X. For further instructions on creating a maintenance window, see the Creating a Maintenance Window article.
NOTE: The schedule is reset when upgrading from V6.X to V7.X. This means that Jobs held or queued in V6.X will not carry over to V7.X.
- Perform a backup of the JAMS Database.
- During the upgrade, the JAMS installer will take care of stopping the appropriate JAMS services and bringing them back up once the upgrade has completed.
- Ensure the user performing the upgrade has sysadmin (SA) rights to the database. This is important so that the database schema can be properly updated.
- Note: If the JAMS Services were configured to run as a Domain account before the install took place, the JAMS Server and JAMS Scheduler service must be set back to run as the domain account. Windows will reset the JAMS Services to run as Local System when the services are updated.
Once the JAMS Server has been upgraded, the same installation executable can be used to upgrade any JAMS Client installs. Simply choose to upgrade only the JAMS Client when presented with the list of JAMS Components.
JAMS Agents can be upgraded by redeploying the Agents from the JAMS Client's "Agents" shortcut.
After upgrading JAMS, users may review their DBUpdate.log file, located at
C:\Program Files\MVPSI\JAMS\Scheduler\DBUpdate.log by default.
NOTE: If upgrading from JAMS V6.x to JAMS V7.X, check out our Converting JAMS V6.X History to JAMS V7.X Article after the upgrade.